The Female Vagabond’s Guide to Staying Fit on the Road!

The day has finally come! I am a published author! What?! So for those of you who have been following along with my travel blog, you have all seen that I can write…a LOT! Well I took my love of traveling, writing, and fitness and wrote a book about staying fit on the road!

book cover

The book is now available on Amazon Kindle, so get your copy today! The Female Vagabond’s Guide for Staying Fit on the Road.

Please note that you do NOT need a Kindle to read my book. You can simply get the Kindle App for your ipad, tablet, or laptop. There is also a desktop reader as well! Eventually I will make this into a paperback too.

After a few months on our trip, I was feeling a bit down on myself for being unemployed. Yes, both my husband and I decided that I would have to leave my job for this trip around the USA as vagabonds and I was ok with it at the time. But after a few months of just writing a blog, I was feeling pretty inadequate, considering I have always had some type of a job since I was 12 years old. I decided to get on UpWork and apply for some Freelance jobs online to make some money. I even applied to be a ghost writer for someone else’s book. As I waited to hear if I was going to be selected, my husband basically asked why I would do that when I could write my own book.

What? Me? Writing my own book? No, I’m not a…..wait of course I am writer! I have tons of blog posts with thousands of views, I enjoy writing, sharing, and educating. Ok! Yea I can do that! But what would I write about? The more I thought about it, I realized something easy for me to write about would be fitness related, and since I am travelling, why not write about staying fit on the road?! And so the writing adventure began!

I really thought I could spit out a basic book in a few weeks and start selling it, but the more my perfectionist work ethic kicked it, the writing grew longer, the editing process was taking up a lot of time, and the months dragged on. I also decided to add pictures to the exercises to make them easier to follow, which added a lot more time for photo shoots, uploading and editing.

When I was just about done, I splurged and paid someone to read and edit my book for me, while keeping my fingers crossed that she didn’t find it to be a complete disaster. After I got her feedback, my confidence was boosted a bit! I was able to make some minor corrections, delete areas where I was being redundant, and got one step closer to being a published author!

When I thought I was 99% done, I kept making edits, putting it into Kindle previewer, and continued to make minor edits, until it was close enough to being ready. When everything looked as good as I was able to make it, I pressed the button. SUBMIT. Cue butterflies in the stomach. Was Amazon going to accept it? Was I just going to waste 100s of hours of work on this? In less than 8 hours, I got an email saying my book was LIVE! AH!!!!!!!!! Instantly got really nervous! What are people going to think? Are there going to be tons of typos I missed? Are my fitness friends going to think my info is garbage? Was anyone going to read it? Does anyone even care? “Ok April knock it off,” I keep trying to tell myself!

Well here we are! The butterflies haven’t stopped, but a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders, and I cannot wait for people to read, take my tips on their next travel adventure, and help better their lives! I hope you enjoy the book, and can have at least 1 thing to take away to help you maintain your fitness and well-being while you travel.

If you could, please leave a review after you read the book, which will help boost my ratings on Kindle and make the book more visible for people who are interested in this topic. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact me at tandaintheusofa@gmail.com!

Happy Reading!

Advertisements

29 Comments Add yours

1. Ben says:

Hi April, that you for the follow on Slight Removed. However, I’m curious how did you find that one? I privated it a few years ago to continue it in pathsunwritten.com.
    I ask because you’re not the only one to have spontaneously followed the old blog in the last few days.

Liked by 1 person

2. Ben, I think I saw that you were following me so I simply followed you back. (I think!)

3. Carolyn Y says:

Hi April! I definitely understand what you mean about working! it feels weird to not be working and just travelling. And I’m sure all your friends are excited for you my dear! Congrats! 🙂

1. Right? I have to get used to saying that I am a travel blogger and author, because saying I am homeless and jobless is not so appealing haha

4. Bertahan Luxing says:

Congratulations on your book and what a great subject, something very close to me actually being a health conscious vagabond.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! When I decided to write a book, it didn’t take long to come up with a topic because I had my own personal experiences to go by, but also by background in health and fitness!

5. Congratulations on your book. Great advice for keeping fit on the road.

6. Stacey Billingsley says:

Congrats on the book! I will have to check it out! As a new blogger, I understand the butterflies when submitting your writing, even though I haven’t written a book. Good luck on future projects!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! I feel the same way about blogging. No matter how many times I look it over, I KNOW there is going to be some stupid mistake or wonder if anyone cares about reading it

7. withawhy says:

These are amazing tips, I find staying fit while travelling to be so hard!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! It is difficult, but if you have a plan to stay active, it makes it so much easier!

8. Karla says:

I sometimes use going on a vacation as an excuse to not exercise or to eat… but I go for long vacations—- its good to stay fit while on the road for sure.

Liked by 1 person

1. Same here! I had to remember that our year long travel adventure was not a vacation, and that each place we were staying was “home” for that period of time. We would find parks to do our banded workout in, trails to run or hike on, or find a sweet deal at a gym for some classes. Whatever keeps me moving!

9. That’s a great achievement, I also think actually staying fit while traveling takes a lot of will power. In 6 years of traveling I struggle to stay fit unless I’m settled in one place and even then I have to force myself to find a local gym.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, when we move around a lot it makes it hard! If a hotel has a gym BONUS! But we typically like to find a park to do the banded workouts or anywhere to get an interval run in. Hiking is always amazing in many places too!

10. Arnav Mathur says:

Heartiest congrats on the book.Would definitely love to read it, as the title itself is so catchy.

1. Thank you so much!

11. pswdarlene says:

Congratulations on your book! I know it’s not easy to publish one even if in digital format. Keeping fit while traveling is a big struggle for me as I find that my normal routine gets messed up. Awesome tips on your book!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! My normal routine is no longer normal, but I’ve allowed myself to be flexible with so many things, that I guess that is my new normal!

12. Paige Wunder says:

Congrats on your book! It has a great market because it’s hard to get your exercise in on the road, at times. I can’t wait to check it out! (I’ll need those tips on my upcoming year-long trip!)

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! I refer to it myself quite a bit, especially when I am having a brain fart on what I want to do for a workout for the day!

13. Wow first of all congratulations on your book! That’s so amazing and very inspiring! I have to admit, I rarely work out when I travel so this is a good motivation for travelers including myself.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! We have been traveling for 10 months, and there was no way I was not going to workout for that long! It is in no way the same as hitting the gym and lifting some heavy weights, but it certainly helped us to stay in shape and feel great!

14. Annie says:

Congratulations on getting published, what an accomplishment! I always have an issue with trying to get cheap on the road- which usually means potatoes and rice, so it would be great to get more work outs in 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! Yes, eating cheap AND healthy can be really difficult, which is why it is even more important to stay active!

15. Meg Jerrard says:

Massive congratulations!! This is huge! You should be so proud 🙂 I totally understand your initial reaction when your husband said why don’t you write a book – when we’ve never done it before it’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking it’s something to huge to take on, but you did it! Again, massive congrats!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! Yes, instant “imposter” syndrome, but I am so happy I did it! I never thought I would be blogging like I am now, and continue to learn something new every day!